Saturday, February 25, 2006

The Visitor in the Night

'It' crawled into my room one hot summer night as I sat at my computer engrossed in my over-due assignment. Seems like this is the season when all creepy crawlies and things that go bump in the night make their presence felt.
I never actually saw 'it' enter but I felt it occupy the space below my chair. This is probably what you would call Extra Sensory Perception.I call it the heebie jeebies!

So instinctively I bent down to take a look at what had come to enjoy my company. And thats when i saw .....nothing. I saw absolutely nothing apart from my own hairy ankles and my slippers; one of them was turned face down.(I laughed a little inside my head thinking of how much this would have irritated my dear old Nana. Apparently slippers that have turned turtle bring bad luck.I was about to find out that Nana had been right all along.)

So I carried on with my coding assignment and tried to push the feeling out of my mind. I barely got a few lines of code down when I felt it around my foot. I nearly soiled myself with fright and I let out a pathetic yelp. Startled, I curled my feet up under myself and shook like a leaf. It took me atleast 15 minutes to uncurl myself from the fetal position and peer under my chair. Still unable to see it, though slightly relieved, I laughed out loud. I did this to try and frighten away whatever it was that had taken a liking to my hairy ankles.

And thats when I saw it! Well, I didnt actually see it but I did notice my slipper move on its own accord. I didnt waste a single second. I grabbed my keyboard, yanked the connecting cable out of the cabinet and began wielding it like a madman in the general direction of my slipper.

With the first swing I struck something. I didnt know what or how big it was but I didnt let that deter me from going gung-ho with my Logitech Easy Keybord Deluxe.I whacked and smacked for all I was worth .'It' was obviously in pain coz it was making unearthly noises which could have indicated both pleasure or pain. I guessed it was the former and continued to let 'It' have it. No invisible creature was going to fondle my ankles and slither away unpunished. I felt a wetness splash against my shin and I guessed the moster was bleeding. As the pounding continued, it lashed out at my stomach but only managed to tear my shirt around my navel. Then after about a minute of mayhem, the noises stopped and all I could hear was my heart pounding in my head.

I opened the door leading to the stairwell of my building and pushed the formless lifeless thing out into the cold night with my foot and slammed the door shut. Slowly I fell to the floor with my back against the closed door and thanked God for small mercies.I could'nt believe what had just happened.

It seemed like a couples of hours before I could get myself to stand up. Shakily, I walked over to my PC. I picked up my keyboard and the 'F1' and 'Esc' keys which had come loose. I connected the keyboard back into the socket and was about to sit down when I heard the noise. A scratching sound coming from outside the closed door....

8 comments:

_dirtboy said...

ROFL... wat was it?
BTW, the "aurora borealis" wallpaper looks nice.. Tho.. spike needs a different background..

Switchblade said...

@fangs: Thanks a lot.

@facesmasher: I really dont know what it was. It was invisible and snake-like. Any guesses??
Spike is content with his current background so i dont think that'll change anytime soon ;)

FateGlimpse said...

hey do u know Roanna Vaz(she's from goa) by any chance?

Switchblade said...

Well I know a Roanna Correa who has cousins with the surname Vaz. She studies in Pune too. Are you referring to her?

ishipishi said...

that was creepy!! and half way thru i had my feet up...and sat crosslegged reading this...!!...lol!!

Switchblade said...

Im glad my little story sends chillz down your spine. that was exactly my intent :p

Cinderella said...

T'was a hillarious post !!
Fantastic imagination and juxtapositionining of excitement and eeriness.
Absolutely loved it.

Switchblade said...

@cinderella: Thanks a lot!