Friday, February 03, 2006

My darling Beulah

Today was the first day of our annual literary event 'Epiphany' in college. The preparations have been on since before December and this year the event is on a much bigger scale than ever before.

I was heading toward the Scrabble event to help them set up the room today morning when i got stopped by some third year volunteers. They wanted me to participate in the creative writing event. The event required two participants per team. Luckily Neha Holay had just entered college and we decided to take part together just for kicks.

We were given one pic and one phrase. We had half an hour to write creatively about the pic and then another half hour about the phrase. What they didn’t tell us was that the phrase had to be linked with the pic in our text.

We were handed the pic of a healthy cow and our creative juices began to flow. We decided to use the element of horror in our text coz half an hour just isnt enough to get something humorous onto paper.



We decided against writing about the slaughter house coz that seemed too mundane. Instead we went on to describe how Beulah [that’s what we named our cow ;) ] felt about her first milking experience.

I’ve never had so much fun writing about a cow before. We were literally in splits as our story unfolded. We described in gory detail how the cow felt 'violated' by the farmer who went about milking her in a cold methodical way. We basically got into the bovine mind and let the words flow.

When the half hour was done we had a pretty nifty story. However the phrase given to us was "For Sale: Unused Baby Shoes"
It took us quite a while to think up a story that was convincing and at the same time logically connected to Beulah's narrative. So we ended up writing another narrative from the farmer's P.O.V about the death of his son from tainted cow's milk!
[Beulah's revenge].

Guess the judges liked our line of thinking as we walked away with the second place prize! 1000 bucks worth of vouchers from Spykar jeans. Pretty good for a few kicks if i should say so myself.

4 comments:

_dirtboy said...

Zhakaas re,bhidu.. The cow looked pretty tasty though;) and wat u doin bout the voucher?Buy a pair of jeans?And then split it?It'll b funny seein the two of u sharin that.. How u gonna go bout it?How bout one limb from each of you in it? It'll b hilarious to c u2doin synch steps.. Now hows that for creative writing?

_dirtboy said...

I know,corny... But better than 'jenny from the blog'

Switchblade said...

Sorry to burst your bubble but we each got 500 bucks worth of Spykar vouchers. I know ud enjoy watching us fit into one pair of jeans but that aint happening :p

Skinniyah said...

Roy... here's some creative writing for you, on a subject that's dear to your heart - accidents.
These are stories filed for insurance claims, apparently.

Coming home I drove into the wrong house and collided with a tree I don't have.

The other car collided with mine without giving me warning of its intention

I thought my window was down, but I found it was up when I put my head through it.

I collided with a stationary truck coming the other way.

A pedestrian hit me and went under my car.

The guy was all over the road. I had to swerve several times before I hit him
I pulled away from the side of the road, glanced at my mother in law and headed over the embankment.

In an attempt to kill a fly, I drove into a telephone pole

I had been shopping for a plant all day and was on my way home. As I reached an inter-section a hedge sprang up, obscuring my vision and I did not see the other car.

I was on the way to the doctor with rear

end trouble when my universal joint gave way causing me to have an accident and damage my big end

As I approached the intersection a sign appeared in a place where no stop sign had ever appeared before. I was unable to stop in time to avoid the accident.
To avoid hitting the bumper of the car in front I stuck a pedestrian.

My car was legally parked as it backed into another vehicle.

An invisible car came out of nowhere, stuck my car and vanished.

I told the police that I was not injured, but on removing my hat I found that I had a fractured skull.

I was sure the old fellow would never make it to the other side of the road when I struck him.

The pedestrian had no idea which direction to run. So I ran over him.

I saw a slow moving, sad faced old gentleman as he bounced off the roof of my car

I was thrown from my car as it left the road. I was later found in a ditch by some stray cows


And there we are back to the subject of cows. Thank you and good night.