Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Success...in relative terms.

Success is counted sweetest
By those who ne'er succeed.
To comprehend a nectar
Requires sorest need.
Not one of all the purple host
Who took the flag to-day
Can tell the definition,
So clear, of victory!

As he, defeated, dying,
On whose forbidden ear
The distant strains of triumph
Burst agonized and clear!

-- by Emily Dickinson

Go my result for the 7th semester today! Managed to score a decent 58%. Its far from an ideal score but I'm not complaining coz I could have ended up with a backlog knowing how unpredictable Pune Univ can be when dishing out marks.

What irks me the most however is the guys/gals who score really good marks but are still greiving coz they haven't topped the University!!
I mean who would be sad if they got 75% in Pune Univ where getting a distinction(66%) is a great achievement?!?
Now I can understand being unhappy after having come so close and then not reaching the pinnacle of engineering....but being on the verge of tears....!?

I heard of one guy who was totally destroyed and became near suicidal coz he was 3 marks lower than the topper in the Univ. Let alone having topped our college...this guy had topped most of the other colleges too.
Such guys should be handed a marksheet that reads 55% at least once in their engineering career. I guess thats the only way the'd ever appreciate the beauty of a 75!

Guess that makes me more of an achiever than these guys at the end of the day. I put in my best and I'm hapy with my performance.... they arent.... guess whos gonna sleep a satisfied man tonight? ;)

5 comments:

ishipishi said...

ahaa...i like ur positive frame of mind:-)...it's refreshing and infectious!...u got me smiling too...and congrats!:-)

keep thinking like this and nuthin will stop u from being a success!

SwB said...

Congrats buddy!

_dirtboy said...

Dude.. you got it wrong there. These guys who crib about getting poor marks ARE the ones who work their asses off throughout the semester to get those paltry 5 extra marks, unlike us, who work during the last few days of the prep leave. Guess they are used to doin it since they were kids. Anyways, I've never cared less for marks.. (mum used to bash me up a lot in 5th and 6th for that kinda attitude, she gave up in 7th, life's better since :p). and if you dont realize, "they" COULD, if they wanted to, write the equally opposite thing about us, only that it WILL sound worse. So guess its a case of live and let live. Let them be, we dont want a bunch of toppers laffin at our scores, regarless of the efforts we put in

Switchblade said...

@the facesmasher: I can understand someone working his ass of for 'those paltry 5 marks' and not getting them being sad but what you dont seems to realize is that it takes MUCH more than a few paltry marks to get over 70%. And what I'm sayin here is that you gotta be thankful for what you got first before wishing for more... however much you may deserve it.The people i was referring to dont realize that losing a few marks in one semester is NOT THE END OF THE WORLD!

The sem before last i worked hard...got 53%.... I know i deserved much more for my effort but i was happy i didnt have any backlogs or worse still have a 43%!


And about them writing the exact opposite about me...what difference would it make to me? Im happy with my marks so they can laugh all they want...it dont matter to me.

Switchblade said...

@ishita. SWB: Thanks a lot guys!