Saturday, January 28, 2006

The Massacre of a Good Name

One of the many things that I’m eternally grateful to my parents for is the name they gave me. Royston Carlton Vaz!!

Royston is of Old English origin, and its meaning is "Royce's town.” According to 1990 U.S. Census, Royston is an uncommon male first name as it was not ranked for males of all ages.(As you can see I’ve done a bit of research).

It’s unique and pretty cool if I should say so myself. Sadly there have been several people over the years who have ripped my good name apart with their mispronunciations and sheer ignorance.
I’ve come to accept this as a part of life now. No use fighting a lost battle.

So here it is. The list of my different ‘aliases’.

1. Roy Singh: I kinda like this one. Don’t know exactly how it came about but it didn’t last for long.

2. Roy Sen: Two of my roommates are Bengali so some bright spark assumed I’m Bengali too and revised my name.

3. Roy Chen: As Chinese as this may sound it’s actually the mallu version of my name. Believe it or not a lot of people think I’m mallu!

4. Royasteen: Modification of my name credited to Jacko – my ex-roommate.

5. Roystrone: Our multimedia professor came up with this mispronunciation a few days ago.

6. Roy Chand: Thanks to Sanatan who bestowed this title upon me. Sadly he didn’t stop there. The name was revised again and now quite a few guys call me Chandu.

7. Roystvan: Don’t even ask how this one came about. This is part of the sheer ignorance I was referring to earlier.

8. Roystein: Pronounced like number 3 but spelt differently. This is how my name is usually written on my bills and other documents.

Apart from these major ones there have been several minor mistakes which have been overlooked over the years. I can only begin to imagine what im gonna be called next.

7 comments:

_dirtboy said...

Hoy, u forgot 'the Stone'... Think u ought to put it down as number one, coz it suits u, and doubly so coz u got rocks for brains.. /heh

_dirtboy said...

And how bout 'Switcha'? Its my personal favorite.. Heehee

Switchblade said...

@abhinav: Thanks for the reminders dude.And since we have apparently started telling secrets how do you like the title of my next post?

"The Full Form of A.D.I.D.A.S!" :P

teacup said...

hey I liked 'roy chand'...hehhe, and yes, u do look mallu!!..initially I thot so too...and don't ask me y!

_dirtboy said...

well for anyone who's interested, ADIDAS stands for All Day I Dream About Soprts...

In this case, its "Some Girl"..

Happy, ROY???

Skinniyah said...

But, you know, nothing beats the dynamic fusing of names that happened with Roygan or Gagston. I believe that to be classic. So what if it's a very subjective opinion...

Switchblade said...

I guess I have to bring out a Pt.2 to this post since a few new aliases have come up and I've been reminded of some old ones too.
Credit where credit is due, Roygan and Gagston have been the most 'creative' of em all.